Fast and Easy Oriental Chicken SoupOct 17 2010 by
Just about everybody has a chicken soup recipe. Whether you like it with rice , noodles or dumplings it just makes you feel good. I came up with this recipe to take to a friend that had just gone through a round of chemo. I was looking for something nourishing yet light and since I knew that she liked Asian flavors I was inspired to put together this chicken soup variation.
- 4 cups low sodium organic chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari (use a gluten free soy sauce for a gluten free option)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup cooked diced chicken breast (omit for a vegetarian/vegan soup)
- 4 oz (1/2 can) sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup snow peas, strings removed
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or noodles of your choice)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a stock pot combine chicken broth, celery, onion, carrot, garlic and ginger.
- Simmer over medium heat about 10 minutes. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, chicken, mushrooms (if using) and water chestnuts and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Add snow peas and rice, simmer 1 more minute.
- Garnish with a few more sprinkles of sesame oil and scallions if desired.
Makes approximately 4 servings.
Serving size 2 cups.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 198, Cal. from Fat: 140, Total Fat: 5.5g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 18.5g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 16.5g, Sodium: 504mg, Chol: 37.5mg
This soup works well in a slow cooker too if you are going to be out for the day. The wonderful smell that greets you when you return home will make your mouth water. Just put all the ingredients, except the rice, in the slow cooker, set on low 6 hours. Serve over cooked rice. If using noodles add them to the pot after 6 hours, turn to high and cook one hour more.
To make this a vegetarian/vegan soup, omit the chicken, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and add 1 cup bean sprouts and 1 cup chopped bok choy. Of course, it won’t be chicken soup anymore but it will be very good just the same.