Farmers Market Salad with Shallot VinaigretteSep 17 2012 by
It might be the end of summer but it’s the peak of many fresh fruits and vegetables at the farmers market. Cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, onions, apples, peaches, pears and so much more. This salad is comprised of many of the seasons peak ingredients tossed with the most creamy, mouthwatering and to die for vinaigrette that you will ever taste.
For the salad
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (or equivalent amount of any other variety of tomato, diced)
- 1/2 cup diced jicama
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 pear, diced
- 4 cups greens of choice (arugula, kale, romaine, bok choy)
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 3 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Combine all of the salad ingredients except the greens in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the hemp seeds and stirring frequently toast until just starting to show a little color. Remove to the bowl of a food processor. Process until ground to a powder like consistency being careful not to over process into hemp butter. Remove to a small bowl.
- Add the shallots to the food processor and process until finely minced. Add to the bowl with the hemp seeds.
- Mix both vinegars to the bowl with the hemp seeds and onions and add salt to taste.
- Whisk in the oil until smooth and creamy.
- Pour half the dressing into the bowl with the salad ingredients. Add more dressing as needed to get the consistency you prefer.
- Place 1 cup greens on each serving plate and top each with a forth of the salad mixture.
- Serve leftover vinaigrette on the side for those who prefer more dressing.
Makes approximately 2 cups salad ingredients (not including the greens) and 1 cup of vinaigrette.
Serving size 1/2 cup salad and 1/4 cup vinaigrette.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 371, Cal. from Fat: 269, Total Fat: 26g, Sat. Fat: 4g, Carbs: 22g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 9g, Sodium: 246mg, Chol: 0mg
It’s best to make only the amount of salad to be eaten right away however the dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Stir well before using.