Farmers Market QuicheJul 11 2011 by
I call this quiche Farmers Market Quiche because it is made with all the wonderful standard fare market items. Corn, tomatoes, onions, peppers and potatoes. You might be thinking, another quiche. Ho-hum. Two things about this quiche make it stand out, the crust is made of thinly sliced potatoes and the filling is made with a creamed corn and egg mixture with a touch (or more) of Sweet Heat Chili Sauce. I have made many quiches and eaten many quiches but this one is by far the tastiest one I have ever had.
- 2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced (I use a mandoline for a really thin and uniform slice)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided or more to taste
- 4 ears corn, cleaned and cut off the cob (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 4 eggs
- 1-3 tbsp Sweet Heat Chili Sauce (1 tbsp you will hardly notice, use 3 if you like more heat)
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack would work too)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut in thinly sliced rings
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly mist or brush a deep dish pie plate with oil. Layer the potato slices all around the dish, overlapping the slices.
- Brush the slices with the remaining oil and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a blender pulse the corn and milk 1 or 2 times until they are combined but still chunky. Add the eggs, remaining 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste) and chili sauce. Blend just until mixed but don’t overmix. There should still be chunks of corn.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom of the potato crust and then pour in the corn mixture.
- Arrange the red pepper rings, sliced tomatoes and green onions around the top and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before cutting.
- Enjoy the wonderful tastes of summer and your local farmers market.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 227, Cal. from Fat: 80, Total Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 3.5g, Carbs: 27g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 6.5g, Protein: 12g, Sodium: 278.5mg, Chol: 150.5mg
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week.