Family Favorite Black Bean TacosSep 10 2010 by
My family loves tacos. Once or twice a month we have Taco Tuesdays and we stuff ourselves silly with these delicious tacos! This is also one of my favorite lunch meals. The taco filling is delicious on top of tortilla chips! I add some shredded lettuce, a bit of guacamole and onions and lunch is served. YUM!
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added black beans (you can also use 1 pound cooked ground protein of your choice such as lean ground beef, turkey, chicken, tofu or any of your favorite beans)
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chillies
- 1 tbsp low sodium vegetable broth or olive oil
- 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3/4 cup sweet corn (if frozen, thaw first)
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped red onion (I like save some onions and use them at the end to top my taco with)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Homemade Guacamole
- 6 tortilla shells of your choice
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp broth or olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Add tomatoes, corn and black beans and cooked until heated through about 5-10 minutes.
- Top each tortilla evenly with bean mixture, guacamole, cheese (if using), extra onions and cilantro. Serve and ENJOY!
Makes 6 servings.
Serving size 1 taco.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 269.5, Cal. from Fat: 18, Total Fat: 5.5g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 44g, Fiber: 10.5g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 11.5g, Sodium: 416.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover taco bean mixture can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I like to make a double batch of tacos when I prepare this meal. The leftover bean mixture freezes really well. Place the mixture in individual freezer safe storage containers and place in the freezer for up to 6 months. Reheat in the microwave and you have dinner on the table in minutes!