Eggplant CrispsMay 14 2012 by
I’m sure almost everyone has had several different kinds of root vegetable chips. Potato, sweet potato, carrot, beet, parsnip are all standard chip material but have you ever had eggplant chips? Before making these crisps I never though of eggplant as chip material. When I think eggplant I think good… but soft and sometimes mushy. Cut in a nice thin slice eggplant can become as crispy as any other vegetable chip and since it can take on just about any flavor you want to give it you can season it with the spices of your choice for a custom design. Eggplant, it’s not just for Baba Ghanoush anymore.
- 2 small eggplants (the smaller ones are the best since they don’t have as many seeds. Japanese eggplant works well too.)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise as thin as you can, less than an 1/8th inch if you can.
- Place an oven proof cooling rack over a baking sheet (line with foil for easy cleanup if desired) or 2 if needed.
- Place the eggplant strips onto the cooling rack in a single layer.
- Mix together the salt, oregano and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over both sides of the eggplant strips.
- Let sit at least 30 minutes. This will help to draw out some of the moisture from the eggplant.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. With an oil mister spray each side of the eggplant with olive oil.
- Place the baking sheet(s) into the oven and bake 10 minutes. Turn the strips over and bake an additional 10 minutes, watching closely the last few minutes as the eggplant will go from nicely browned to burnt very quickly. The eggplant should be completely crisp and browned.
- Serve immediately.
Makes approximately 24-28 crisps.
Serving size 6 crisps.
Nutritional information not available at this time.
Eggplant Crisps are best eaten right away.
You can easily customize the flavor to your own taste by changing the seasonings. Try some Taco Seasoning Mix or a mix of curry powder, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Be sure to include salt in whatever seasoning you use as the salt is what draws out the moisture from the eggplant.