Egg Pillows on Tomato BedsJul 26 2011 by
Sometimes you just need to introduce a little fun into breakfast. Egg Pillows, these are the healthy eaters. Healthy eaters, these are Egg Pillows. Introductions over, now on with the fun! 2 simple eggs are transformed into soft and fluffy clouds that lay on a bed of sliced tomatoes and melted cheese. Top them off with a little crispy prosciutto and you have a party, a pajama party if you are still in your PJ’s.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used an Old World Portuguese that I found at the farmer’s market but Manchego, Gruyere, Monterey Jack or even cheddar would work)
- 2 slices from a medium to large beefsteak tomato, about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 slices or 1 ounce prosciutto, cut into thin strips (I used Applegate Farms Prosciutto)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small dry skillet cook the prosciutto until lightly browned and crisp. Set aside.
- Separate the egg whites into a small bowl. Set aside the yolks.
- Add the salt to the egg whites and beat with an electric mixer on high until you have stiff peaks.
- Spoon half the beaten egg whites into a pillow onto the parchment paper. Make another pillow with the remaining egg whites. With the back of your spoon make a small dent in the center of each pillow.
- Place the tomato slices onto the parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and gently place 1 egg yolk into each pillow and top the tomato slices evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake another 3-4 minutes or until the yolks are cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Place each tomato slice onto a plate and with a spatula gently remove the egg pillows and place one on top of each tomato slice.
- Sprinkle evenly with the prosciutto.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 166.5, Cal. from Fat: 102.5, Total Fat: 10g, Sat. Fat: 3.5g, Carbs: 10g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 13.5g, Sodium: 665mg, Chol: 231mg
Egg Pillows are best eaten right away and do not save well.