Easy Oven Baked RiceJan 27 2011 by
I think rice is probably one of my top 10 foods, but I hate cooking it. When cooked on the stove top there always seems to be some that sticks to the bottom of the pan or it splatters all over the place and anyone who knows me knows I hate getting my stove dirty (I know, it’s crazy but true). I’ve used rice cookers, but again you get that dry layer at the bottom or it’s soggy. I’ve even tried microwaving it which I admit worked when I ate white rice but not for brown rice. One day when watching my culinary hero Alton Brown he showed a method of cooking rice in the oven. It’s been rice bliss ever since.
- 1 cup rice (any variety of your choice – I used Wehani for this recipe)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the rice, water and oil in an 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and carefully lift the foil to fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Nutritional info will vary depending on the type of rice that is used.
You can replace the water with vegetable broth for more flavor.