Cucumber SalsaSep 10 2012 by
It must be that I know the end of summer is upon us because I have been having this weird craving for cucumbers. I bought 3 of them at the market the other day and less than 2 days later they were gone. I’ve been eating them with everything and sometimes I just chop them up and eat them raw. My husband has been obsessed with Chef Matthew Purnell’s Raw Tacos and we’ve been eating them almost every night for dinner. I wanted to get my cucumber fix in so I decided to whip up this light and refreshing cucumber salsa. I used the last of the cherry tomatoes from my garden and got the other ingredients fresh from the market. It made for a delicious end of summer meal. Enjoy!
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled (if desired), seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato or a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 a green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 a jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 a small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes about 2 cups.
Serving size 1/2 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 23, Cal. from Fat: 1.5, Total Fat: 0g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 5g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 1g, Sodium: 13.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Make sure to wear some sort of protective gloves on your hands when handling jalapeño peppers – I speak from experience!
Leftover salsa can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.