Creamy Chicken BitesApr 20 2011 by
You know those old school recipe books, the kind that churches and small organizations use to self publish with the plastic sprial binders? They always had the best recipes because they were real life meals people made in their own kitchens – tried and true recipes I call them. This recipe is an adaptation of a crescent chicken pocket recipe I found in Cooking with Friends. It was self published in 1982 by the South Tannytown Church. The original recipe uses crescent rolls which are stuffed with chicken, cream cheese and onions. With a couple of changes I was able to maintain the creamy chicken texture that you experience when you take a bite and made them into bite sized balls so that they are fun for the whole family to eat!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, finely shredded
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese, semi soft
- 1 1/4 cup zucchini, finely shredded
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 2-4 tbsp hot sauce, optional (I used Tabasco brand)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix neufchatel cheese and goat cheese together until well blended.
- Add chicken, zucchini, onions and hot sauce (if using). Mix until throughly combined.
- Using the palms of your hands, roll the mixture into 1 inch sized balls. Roll each ball into the breadcrumbs and evenly coat.
- Place each ball on a baking sheet (I line mine with non-stick foil for easy clean up) and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then broil for 3-5 minutes on high until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
Serving size 6 chicken bites.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 165, Cal. from Fat: 90, Total Fat: 10g, Sat. Fat: 6g, Carbs: 6.5g, Fiber: .5g, Sugars: 1.5g, Protein: 12.5g, Sodium: 185.5mg, Chol: 43.5mg
Any leftover bites can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. To reheat simply place in the oven until heated through and enjoy! While you can reheat these in the microwave they will lose their crunchy outside layer which is why it’s recommended to reheat in the oven.
For a gluten free meal make sure to use a gluten free bread when making your Homemade Breadcrumbs.