Cream of Mushroom SoupNov 10 2010 by
For years I always had a can or two of Campbells cream of mushroom soup in my cupboard. How could you make a casserole without it? Those cans were one of the first things to get cleared out when I began cleaning up my diet. Maybe you did the same thing with a little sigh, thinking never to have casseroles again. But, you were wrong. This cream of mushroom soup is so good you may eat it all before it can become a casserole. As you’ll see in the directions, I deglaze the pan with wine after sauteing the onions and mushrooms. Deglazing is just a fancy way to say pouring a cold liquid into a very hot pan to get all the yummy browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Be careful when using alcohol to deglaze a pan, always remove the pan from the heat first. This step is optional but I think it really makes a difference, adding a depth of flavor you won’t find in a canned soup.
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms (baby portabellas), sliced or diced (your preference)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (I used oat milk)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- Pour olive oil in a medium sized soup pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions and saute until tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the wine to deglaze the pan. Return the pan to the heat and let the wine simmer until almost gone, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in flour until all the vegetables are coated.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and milk and simmer about 5-7 minutes on low, do not boil, keep the heat low and just simmering until thickened.
- Soup is now ready to be used.
Makes 8 servings.
Serving size 1/2 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 74.5, Cal. from Fat: 31.5, Total Fat: 3.5g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 8g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 2.5g, Protein: 3g, Sodium: 77.5mg, Chol: 0mg
This soup is the perfect replacement for any canned cream of mushroom soup. Use as you would in any recipe that calls for it.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Soup can also be frozen in freezer safe containers for up to 6 months.
To make a gluten free soup simply substitute the whole wheat flour with 3 tsp kuzu root and 6 tsp water. Stir until dissolved and then stir into the soup and continue with directions as stated.