Confetti Slaw with Orange-Chili DressingJul 20 2011 by
Everyone is a critic when it comes to cole slaw. Have you noticed that? I have. If you mention a restaurant or deli the response is often “they have the best slaw or the worst slaw or the slaw is too tangy, sweet, wet, dry” you name it. I like slaw of almost any kind, sweet and creamy or with a tangy vinaigrette but here is a new slaw that has a little bit of everything. Its crunchy, tangy, sweet and spicy too. I really love it and hope you will too. If you don’t though I’ll understand because I know….everybody is a critic.
Ingredients for Orange-Chili Dressing:
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for Confetti Slaw:
- 2 cups grated jicama
- 2 cups grated red cabbage
- 1 medium red onion, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
Preparation for the dressing:
- In a small bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients until well blended. Set aside.
Preparation for the slaw:
- Toss together the ingredients for the slaw in a large bowl.
- Pour in the dressing and mix to coat.
- Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.
Makes about 6 cups.
Serving size 1/2 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 169, Cal. from Fat: 103, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 16g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 8g, Protein: 1.5g, Sodium: 199mg, Chol: 0mg
This slaw keeps really well and is actually better the longer it sits in the dressing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.