Thai Coconut Vegetable SoupOct 08 2011 by
As Albert Hammond sang, “seems it never rains in Southern California” but today proved that wrong as it rained all day long. The silver lining in the clouds? It put me in the mood for soup. As I browsed through my soup recipes one jumped out at me as just the thing I was looking for, a little spicy, a mix of sweet and sour and lots of creamy goodness. Thai Coconut Vegetable or Tom Kha Phak. I made this soup with tofu but it could also be made with chicken by replacing the vegetable broth with chicken broth and the tofu with cooked chicken. If you’ve never had this soup before, give it a try. Like I tell my grandchildren, “be an adventurer or explorer, not the mule he rode in on that only eats the same old hay every day”.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 5-6 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) lite organic coconut milk
- 2 small chili peppers, seeded and minced (I used anaheim peppers but you could also use 1 jalapeno)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice (start with 1 and add more if desired)
- 7 ounces firm or extra firm organic tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional garnish)
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven saute the onion, carrots and potato in the olive oil on medium high for 5-7 minutes or until just tender.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the chili peppers, ginger and coriander. Stir to combine the seasonings into the vegetables.
- Reduce heat to low and add the broth, coconut milk, tofu, lime juice and salt.
- Simmer over low heat 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with cilantro.
Make 4 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 254, Cal. from Fat: 132 , Total Fat: 14g, Sat. Fat: 6g, Carbs: 22g, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugars: 7.5g, Protein: 7g, Sodium: 595mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.