Grilled Potato SaladJun 25 2011 by
This weeks “market special” recipe is Grilled Potato Salad but the special wasn’t potatoes. It was pattypan squash, but who am I kidding? I would have gotten these cute little babies even if they weren’t this weeks special. They are just so darn cute! I decided to use them in this recipe because they grill up nicely and blend well with the bright and tangy dressing. If you can’t find them or don’t want to use them you can make the salad with just potatoes. Also, if you don’t grill you can roast the vegetables in the oven, you just won’t get that smokey outdoor grill flavor. Either way it’s a delicious change from the standard fare mayonnaise covered potato salad.
- 4-5 medium all purpose potatoes, skins on,cut into chunks (make sure the chunks are large enough that they won’t fall through your grill rack)
- 3-4 pattypan squash, cut into chunks (or summer squash )
- 3-4 green onions, bottoms trimmed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp thyme
- sea salt to taste (I used 1/2 tsp on the vegetables and 1/2 tsp in the dressing)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-hot.
- Parboil the potatoes by putting the cut potatoes in a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a light boil.
- Boil only until the outside is tender but the center is still raw and firm. This should take about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the potato chunks.
- Remove the pan from the heat, drain the water and fill immediately with cold water to stop the potatoes from cooking any further.
- Drain the water and add the squash and green onions to the pan along with 2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat all the vegetables.
- Place the vegetables on the grill and grill until golden. Turn as needed.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey and thyme. Slowly whisk in the remaining olive oil until completely mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill when done. Cut the onion into bite size pieces and place all the vegetables in a serving bowl. Pour the dressing over them and toss to coat.
- Serve while warm.
Makes 4 servings.
Serving size about 1/2 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 348, Cal. from Fat: 153, Total Fat: 17g, Sat. Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 59g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 6.5g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 511mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover salad should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.