Cherry ClafoutiFeb 22 2011 by
I couldn’t let February go by without doing something with cherries since it is National Cherry month. Besides, I love cherries and what’s better than cherries and custard? This dish is easy to make and it’s so lovely in a rustic way. I love how the cherry juice oozes up over the custard as it bakes and the cherries bob up to be seen too. Beautiful.
- 1 bag (10 – 12 ounces) frozen no sugar added black sweet cherries
- 6 ounces (1/2 can) frozen unsweetened apple cherry juice concentrate (plain apple is ok too)
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 1/4 cups skim or lowfat milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey, brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (I love vanilla flavor so I also scrape a vanilla bean in too)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup spelt or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup finely ground almond meal flour (optional)*
- olive oil to spray in pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a tart pan or baking dish, approximately 11 x 9, with olive oil.
- Place the cherries and juice concentrate in a bowl to thaw.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, honey, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add the flour and whisk until completely smooth.
- Add the arrowroot powder to the cherries and juice. Mix well.
- Pour the cherries and juice into the baking dish.
- Pour the batter over the cherries. Do not stir.
- Place in the oven and bake 50 – 60 minutes until puffed and browned along the edges. A knife insered into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven. The clafouti will fall a little after cooling.
- Spoon onto plates or in a bowl and enjoy while hot.
Makes 6 servings.
Serving size about 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 329.5, Cal. from Fat: 106, Total Fat: 12.5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 51g, Fiber: 8.5g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 8g, Sodium: .5mg, Chol: 0mg
Clafouti is a great breakfast or brunch dish too. The optional almond meal flour is used in many clafouti recipes and it adds a different taste and texture that is really good. It does add fat, albeit good fat.
Leftover clafouti can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.