Homemade BBQ SauceNov 06 2010 by
I recently got back from a trip to Nashville, TN and it must have been the smell of BBQ that hits you as soon as you walk off the plane that put me in the mood for some BBQ of my own! This recipe is so ridiculously easy that I can’t believe I hadn’t been making my own BBQ sauce sooner!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (6 ounces) no salt added tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground (dry) mustard
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup organic blackstrap molasses
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook until completely soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
Makes approximately 3 cups.
Serving Size 2 tbsp.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 13, Cal. from Fat: 1.5, Total Fat: 0g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 2g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 0g, Sodium: 13mg, Chol: 0mg
I love this sauce just as it is but you can always customize it to your taste if need be. For a tangier taste add a bit more molasses or for a smoky taste add a dash of liquid smoke.
The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about a week or you can freeze for up to 6 months.
For a vegan and gluten free sauce make sure to buy an appropriate worcestershire sauce.