Asian Slow Cooker ChickenSep 16 2011 by
One of the last meat based meals I made before switching to a plant based diet was this Asian Slow Cooker Chicken. I love meals that can cook all day in the slow cooker and be ready when I get home from a busy day with the kids. I literally threw everything in the slow cooker, covered and 6 hours later dinner was done. This meal got a thumbs up from everyone! The sauce was delicious and we enjoyed it over rice with a side of steamed broccoli. YUM!
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari (if you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free sauce)
- 1 tbsp ponzu sauce (omit if you don’t have it on hand)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 large carrots, sliced thinly on a diagonal (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, ponzu sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic and ginger. Stir well to combine.
- Layer carrots, onions (not green onions) and chicken in your slow cooker and evenly pour the sauce over top.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. Serve with brown rice and top with green onions.
Makes approximately 4- 5 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 161, Cal. from Fat: 66.5, Total Fat: 7.5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 19.5g, Sodium: 830mg, Chol: 52mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.