Chocolate Zucchini MuffinsFeb 08 2011 by
Do you know someone who likes chocolate but doesn’t like to eat their vegetables? This might not be the best way to eat vegetables but I always say to do whatever works. These chocolate muffins have shredded zucchini in them and if you are trying to hide the green stuff, you can shred it finely and no one will be the wiser.
- 1 cup raw coconut crystals or date sugar
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 1/3 cup sunflower or other neutral flavor oil
- 1/3 cup Naked Apple Butter
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened kefir or yogurt
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (you can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder but the muffins won’t be as dark and rich looking)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (packed) zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Sunspire Grain Sweetened Chocolate Chips)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups boiling water
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray 2 muffins pans (24 muffins) or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix coconut crystals, brown rice syrup, oil, apple butter, kefir, eggs, and vanilla extract until blended. Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in half the flour mixture to the wet sugar mixture, blend and then stir in half the boiling water to that and gently fold until mixed in.
- Stir in the remaining flour, blend and then stir in the remaining water, folding until all the water is throughly blended in. The batter will be rather thin.
- Fold in the nuts if using, reserving 2 tbsp.
- Spoon into prepared cupcake pans. Top evenly with the chocolate chips and reserved nuts.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool 5 minutes in pans and then remove muffins to a rack to cool.
- When completely cooled store in an airtight container.
Makes 24 servings.
Serving size one muffin with walnuts.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 173, Cal. from Fat: 52, Total Fat: 5.75g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 25g, Fiber: 3.6g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 3.6g, Sodium: 180mg, Chol: 9mg
These cupcakes keep best when stored in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 5 days.
They also freeze really well too. Place cupcakes in freezer safe bags and place in the freezer. Remove cupcakes from freezer about 1 hour before use and thaw at room temperature.