Chocolate Pecan PieNov 16 2011 by
It’s been almost 3 months since my family switched to a plant based diet. This will be our first Thanksgiving where we don’t sit down to stuff ourselves with turkey and more importantly – leftover turkey sandwiches. I’ve always believed that with good, wholesome ingredients you can make incredible tasting food. So even though we won’t be eating turkey this Thanksgiving I can honestly say that we won’t be missing it. Among the things on our dinner table will be these fanfreakingtastic pecan pies. Not just any pecan pies – CHOCOLATE pecan pies. Because as you know, everything tastes better with chocolate. Would it be wrong to eat these pies and only these pies for Thanksgiving?
- 1 Perfect Pie Crust (bottom only)
- 1 cup toasted, unsalted pecans (The pecans I used were rather small so I left them whole. If the pecans you use are larger you may want to cut them in half except for the ones used to decorate the top)
- 3/4 cup raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips of your choice (I used Sunspire Grain Sweetened Chocolate Chips)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp neutral flavor oil
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together the tapioca starch, potato starch, baking powder, water and oil. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat the honey. Bring to a boil and when foamy lower heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the starch mixture stirring constantly for 3 minutes more.
- Add the chocolate chips and vanilla, stirring until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- Evenly disburse 3/4 cup of the pecans onto the pie crust.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the pecans about 3/4 full.
- Arrange the remaining pecans on top. (If using mini tart pans place the pans on a baking sheet)
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Cool on a rack for about 1-2 hours, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and set.
Makes 1 pie or 5 tarts.
Serving size 1/8 piece of pie.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 183.5, Cal. from Fat: 112.5, Total Fat: 13g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Carbs: 16g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugars: 12g, Protein: 1.5g, Sodium: 0mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover pie can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
For a gluten free pie make sure to use a gluten free pie crust and gluten free chocolate chips.