Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Breakfast ShakeJan 20 2012 by
The last few weeks I’ve gone through a LOT of different protein powders. I’ve been trying to find a protein powder that I can add to a smoothie for part of my morning breakfast that doesn’t leave that chalky, weird tasting/feeling in my mouth. I’ve tried hemp powder, rice powder, raw blended powders, pea powders and a bunch of others. They all sucked! Lately I’ve been incorporating hemp seeds into my meals. They are really small and for the most part pretty mild in flavor. I figured if I added them to a smoothie that they would blend up and wouldn’t be noticeable at all. I’m happy to report that they worked perfectly! I’ve been adding them to different smoothies throughout the week and I love them! This chocolate peanut butter shake was hands down the favorite in my family. My husband and daughter loved it and for my son, who doesn’t like peanuts, I substituted with almond butter and he gave it 2 thumbs up! Breakfast just a got a whole lot yummier!
- 3 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter (you can substitute with any of your favorite nut or seed butters)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- a splash of vanilla (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar (optional)
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and process until well combined.
- For a frosty type shake add in some ice and blend until smooth.
Makes 1 serving.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 617, Cal. from Fat: 309, Total Fat: 33.5g, Sat. Fat: 3.5g, Carbs: 62g, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 35g, Protein: 23g, Sodium: 162mg, Chol: 0mg
If you’re serving this for kids it’s best to add in the vanilla and coconut nectar for a little extra sweetness. Both my husband and I thought it tasted fine without it but my kids preferred the sweetness.