Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy BarDec 20 2011 by
While I don’t do ‘cheat meals’, I also don’t believe in denying myself. If I am craving something I will come up with a way to make it using wholesome, natural foods. Apparently my daughter and I were on the same page last week because she asked if we could make some Homemade Candy Bars. I checked the panty to make sure I had all the ingredients and realized we didn’t have any brown rice puffs. I made a few adjustments to the recipe and came up with a super quick and easy treat that hit the spot. Being healthy tastes sooo good!
- 1 cup Medjool dates (about 18 dates)
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw peanuts
- 1/2 cup no salt added peanut butter (creamy or chunky – both work)
- 1/3 cup + 2-3 tbsp chocolate chips of your choice (I used Sunspire Grain Sweetened Chocolate Chips)
- Line an 8 x 8 glass dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor or powerful blender add the dates, peanuts, peanut butter and 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
- Process the mixture for 2-3 minutes. You should have a slightly grainy but sticky mixture.
- Add in the remaining 2-3 tbsp chocolate chips and pulse a few times to incorporate the chips. If you want a smooth candy bar skip this step.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared glass dish and using a spatula gently press down on the mixture to form an even layer.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Remove and cut into 1 1/2 by 4 inch sized candy bars.
- Wrap each candy bar in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
Makes 10 candy bars.
Serving size 1 candy bar.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 352, Cal. from Fat: 161.5, Total Fat: 18g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Carbs: 43.5g, Fiber: 6.5g, Sugars: 30.5g, Protein: 9g, Sodium: 1mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover candy bars will keep in the fridge for up to 1 month. You can also freeze them for longer term storage.
For a gluten free candy bar make sure to use gluten free chocolate chips.
I actually like to cut these bars up into smaller pieces that I can pop into my mouth after a meal. I cut each bar up into 6 equal pieces and end up with 60 popable treats.