Chocolate Chip Cookie BarSep 26 2011 by
Whether you follow a clean diet, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free or any other combination out there – no diet should be without chocolate chip cookies. In the past I’ve experimented with baking without dairy and my results were not so good. It took me a few attempts but this time in the end I came up with a gooey, chocolately and buttery tasting cookie. I’m not proud to admit it but my family devoured the whole pan in one sitting! My in-laws are in town visiting and we had them over for dinner. I made these cookie bars for dessert and they had no idea they were vegan! I’ll definitely be making them again and again. Next time I might even add a bit of peanut butter to really spice things up – cause that’s how I roll!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (if you follow a gluten free diet use a gluten free all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup raw coconut crystals
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sunflower or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of your choice (use a chocolate chip that fits your dietary needs)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, coconut crystals, chocolate chips and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, add honey, molasses, vanilla, and oil. Stir until very well combined.
- Next, stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined. Be careful not to over mix them.
- Place the dough into a small glass loaf pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Check every so often to avoid overbaking.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 cookie bars.
Serving size 1 cookie bar.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 204.5, Cal. from Fat: 85.5, Total Fat: 10g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 28.5g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 16g, Protein: 1.5g, Sodium: 193mg, Chol: 0mg
If you’d like to make single cookies, form into 10-12 balls and bake for 10 minutes, being careful not to overbake them.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.