Cherry Tomato Salad with “Feta” CheeseJul 13 2012 by
Remember those MONSTER tomato bushes I told you about? The ones that engulfed my chives, parsley, blackberry and raspberry bushes? Well, they are now bursting with ripe little cherry tomatoes. More than I know what to do with. I’m pretty sure my kids will run away screaming if they see tomatoes on their plate at dinner one more night. With all the picnics, potlucks and summer get togethers going on I decided to whip up a refreshing salad and share the tomato love. Plus, this dish is best served at room temperature so no worries with having to keep it cool and refrigerated while at a gathering or outdoor venue. And if you don’t have a backyard filled with cherry tomatoes – COME TAKE MINE!!! I’m up to my eyeballs in tomatoes! Someone save me!
For the Tofu Feta:
- 7 ounces firm organic tofu, crumbled
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
For the Cherry Tomato Salad:
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup tofu feta (from above)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the tofu feta by mixing together the oil, vinegar, water, salt, basil and oregano. Add the tofu crumbles and allow to marinate for at least 6 hours.
- For the salad, in a large bowl mix together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and onions and stir to coat.
- Use a slotted spoon and remove 1 cup of the tofu feta from the marinade liquid. Use another spoon to gently press down on the feta to remove any extra liquid. Add to the tomato salad and stir once more to throughly coat all the ingredients.
- This dish is best served at room temperature.
Makes approximately 5 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 126.5, Cal. from Fat: 85, Total Fat: 9.5g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 7g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 4g, Sodium: 15mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover tofu feta can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.