Archive for Product Reviews
First let me say that I am not a workout video aficionado. I am a runner. I have always found a good run to be all I wanted or needed. That idea has slowly changed for me as I’ve gotten older so I started looking around for some strength training options to supplement my running.
I looked into a gym, classes at the Y, yoga and a few other things. I know myself better than to think I would really stick to going to a gym or being tied down to a scheduled class so I tried a couple of workout videos and ended up laughing at myself more than anything else. While I am in good physical shape from years of running I found I’m not all that coordinated when it comes to workout moves. I came across Erin O’Brien’s Strong Body, Ageless Body and decided to give it one last try. I’m so glad I did because this video is perfect.
While this video might be geared more towards older women don’t count it out for a good workout at any age. In fact Erin points out some of the exercises being good for women who are pregnant as well as postpartum.
The video starts with a warm up then goes through a course of strength training circuits using hand weights (you can see that Erin uses 6 lbs weights. I started with 3 lbs and worked up to 5 lbs), floor work and then stretching. The 45 minute routine covers both upper body and lower body exercises for a complete workout. Enough to work up a good sweat and feel your muscles being worked but not abused. If you want more of a challenge there is a box in the top corner showing more difficult variations you can follow.
I was able to complete this workout from the first. There were no crazy dance moves to learn or quick changes from one position to the next. All throughout Erin educates on form and function explaining the specific impact of each exercise.
I highly recommend this workout video for anyone, regardless of age, as a good strength training supplement to your exercise routine.
I had just run out of the usual baby salad greens that I get from the market. The brand I usually got I happen to really like because they are grown locally and are so fresh and crisp. I needed some in a hurry and I knew that the little store that is just down the road didn’t have these greens but I figured I could find something else similar. This turned out to be a good thing because I found 2 new products from Earthbound Farms, Organic Mixed Baby Kales and Organic Power Greens (baby spinach, baby kales and baby red and green chard).
I love kale but find that it can be quite tough to eat and needs to be de-stemmed first. I know some people also find it to be a bit strong tasting so avoid using it. The baby kale mix from Earthbound Farms is delightfully tender and flavorful, no de-stemming needed and is perfect to add to a salad, stir fries, steamed, added to soups and so much more.
I have tried to like chard. I know how nutritious it is and it’s usually quite economically priced. I will eat it if it is served to me but I don’t love it. This Organic Power Green mix is the perfect solution. You get the nutritional benefits but a more mellow flavor with this green leafy trio. The Organic Power Greens can be used in much the same way as the Organic Baby Kales and are also good to add to smoothies without overpowering the flavors of the other ingredients.
Now that I have found these “babies” I want to use them in every way possible. Here is a very green meal plan featuring them in several different ways.
Breakfast – 1 cup fruit and Power Greens smoothie. Example 1 small banana (frozen), 10 strawberries (frozen), 1 cup Power Greens, 1 cup orange juice and 2 tbsp raw hemp seeds.
Snack – 1 Homemade Pita Bread with 2 tbsp peanut butter
Lunch – 1 cup Kale, Squash and Potato Soup and 1 apple
Snack – 2 Stuffed Cinnamon Raisin Puffs
Dinner – 1 Sweet Potato Quinoa Burger and 1 serving green salad (1/2 baby lettuces and half Power Greens) with toppings and dressing of your choice.
*We were in no way compensated for our review of Earthbound products. We simply enjoyed them and wanted to share our opinion with you.
If you’ve been following this blog for awhile then you know I have a food crush on garlic. There’s rarely a meal I make that doesn’t contain garlic. So is it any wonder that one of my favorite companies is Garlic Gold?! I have tried every single one of their products and it’s been love at first taste. Garlic Gold recently came out with 2 new products – Garlic Gold Southwest Nuggets and Garlic Gold Herbs de Provence Nugget – and they are giving you the opportunity to try them along with one of my personal favorites – Garlic Gold Red Wine Vinaigrette. This giveaway starts today and ends Tuesday March 20th, 2012. We’ll announce the winner Wednesday March 21st on our Facebook Page. Make sure you enter the giveaway below and be sure to check out the Garlic Gold website for all their wonderful products!
- 1 1/4 cups dry couscous
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 5 cups raw spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes, drain and reserve the juice
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (I used Daiya Mozzarella Shreds)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 3 tbsp Garlic Gold Herbs de Provence Nuggets
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium pan over high heat. Add the couscous and 1/2 tsp of salt, stir well, cover and remove from the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté for 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the drained, diced tomatoes, remaining salt and Garlic Gold Herbs de Provence Nuggets and sauté for 10 more minutes.
- In a 2 1/2 quart baking dish, mix the couscous, raw spinach, tomato/onion mixture and the reserved tomato juice together.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top evenly with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the cheese it melted and brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 37.5, Cal. from Fat: 16.5, Total Fat: 2g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 3.5g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: .5g, Protein: 2g, Sodium: 391.5mg, Chol: 0mg
If you don’t have any Homemade Breadcrumbs on hand you can use store bought panko or sprinkle some toasted pine nuts over the top.
If you don’t stock Garlic Gold Herbs de Provence Nuggets in your pantry (you should by the way!) then you can substitute with 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp oregano and 2 tsp basil.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Leftovers are good both cold or warmed up.
The most popular resolution that people make for the New Year is losing weight. Yet so many, by February or March, are no longer sticking to that resolution. WHY? Most people start a restrictive diet and get a gym membership where they do the same exercises over and over again. No wonder 3 months into it and they are done. Who wants a diet that is restrictive and exercise that is repetitive and boring? We already know that eating naked is all about feeding yourself healthy and wholesome foods but what about exercise? How do you keep things interesting so that you stick to an exercise program? You need to find something you love! Whether it’s running, riding your bike or simply walking, if you have something you like to do – you’ll do it and stick to it!
I love running and walking! Being outside in the fresh air, turning up my music and getting in some exercise is pure heaven. Unfortunately I live in the Chicago area and going outside in the winter is just not my thing! While I have a treadmill that I can use, I’m not a fan of indoor running or walking. When I’m forced inside during the winter months I find myself making excuses not to exercise. ”I’ll take today off” or “It’s too late to workout now” or “I’ll get back into it tomorrow” – excuses, excuses, excuses. I had to find another type of exercise program that would work for me. Something that I could do at home and that would be fun and keep me motivated. Well, I found it! Slim in 6 by professional fitness coach Debbie Siebers.
The Slim in 6 program includes:
- Start It Up! – introduces you to the basic Slim Training (about 30 minutes)
- Ramp It Up! – builds on the basic moves and takes it up a notch (about 55 minutes)
- Burn It Up! – third stage of the six week workout routine (just over an hour)
Bonus workouts and extras:
- Slim & 6-Pack – abdominal workout routine (about 10 minutes)
- Slim & Limber – improves flexibility (about 15 minutes)
- 6-Day Express Diet Plan – diet designed to help you lose up to 6 pounds and 6 inches in your first 6 days.
- Cardio Core! Express – focuses on the abdominal core muscles
- Slim Training Band – resistance band that you use in the program
- If you are looking for a program that will tone you up and help you shave off some inches then you have a sure winner here! One of the best things with this workout is that you are working your WHOLE body. Debbie works every muscle group! You really get a total body workout. She’s combined strength training and aerobic activity to give you a workout that will not only tone you but get you fit.
- Personally I love Debbie – I had never heard of her before purchasing this DVD set. I like that she is relatable. For me, I often feel so discouraged when the trainer in the videos are hardcore and ripped. It’s like I’m never working hard enough cause I don’t look like them. Debbie is toned and you can tell she’s in amazing shape but she looks like a normal, everyday woman. It feels like I’m working out with a friend rather than a trainer.
- I love that a timer and counter are on the screen at all times. Each time you start a different move there is a counter that counts down how many more reps you have left to do! Plus there is a timer that is always there showing you how much time is left in your workout. It’s so helpful!
- If I can do this program ANYONE can do this program. I’m what you would call – COMPLETELY uncoordinated. I can watch someone put 2 feet together and I will still not get it right the first time around. The first video shows you all the moves and puts them together in a simple workout. Debbie gives excellent instructions and shows you the proper techniques and positions for each move. I was able to figure them out quickly and in no time was doing the moves as seamlessly as she was. Because I had the basic moves down by the time I switched to the next 2 DVD’s I had no problem keeping up right from the beginning.
- I love that you start off with a 30 minute workout and then ease your way up. On average it takes 21 days for a change to become habit. I’ve tried home workout programs in the past and have given up way too quickly because they took way too long to complete and for someone starting out I did not have the strength to do it all. I never gave myself a chance to make it a habit. But with Slim in 6 you work out for the first 1-2 weeks on the first video which is 30 minutes. I was so surprised at how fast those 30 minutes went! I actually looked forward to those 30 minutes each day. By the time I switched to the 2nd DVD I had already made working out part of my daily routine and switching to a full 55 minutes wasn’t that big of a change. For those that have a hard time sticking to a program this is a perfect way to change that behavior!
- If you are not a fan of constant babble then you’ll love this program. Debbie keeps it simple. She shows you how to do the moves and will encourage you to “Get to it” but there isn’t talking just to fill the time.
- If you are extremely overweight and out of shape you’ll probably want to opt for a lower impact workout first. While each video does have a person working out along side Debbie that shows you alternative moves for lower impact – you still need to be somewhat in shape to start this program.
Slim in 6 is a DVD series that is put out by Beachbody. While you can purchase the videos through Amazon it’s actually cheaper to buy them from Beachbody – Beachbody total is $59.85 for the entire set. If you already have a Beachbody coach you can purchase them directly through your coach or you can click on the link below to purchase them.
Please note that I am not compensated for any purchases made through this link. The link simply allows you to purchase the set through Beachbody.