Cashew ParmesanApr 12 2012 by
This recipe is so simple it’s hardly a recipe. There are many times when I am making something and wish I had that salty taste and texture of parmesan cheese. I have tried many different recipes and been disappointed time after time with the results. The store bought non-dairy parmesans are so full of chemicals that I stopped reading the ingredient list after the first few. While I’m not going to tell you that this parmesan can be used in every application that you would use regular dairy parmesan, it does make a delicious topping on pizza, pasta, salads and more.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp coarse ground sea salt or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cashews on a baking sheet and bake in the oven about 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. The trick is to let the cashews get brown but not burned. This is what makes that good nutty flavor.
- Remove the cashews to a food processor and add in the yeast. Process until crumbly.
- Add the salt and pulse to combine.
Makes approximately 1 cup.
Serving size 2 tbsp.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 109, Cal. from Fat: 62, Total Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 9g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 3g, Sodium: 362mg, Chol: 0mg
Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for several months or for up to a year in the freezer.