Caramelized Banana Stuffed French ToastFeb 08 2012 by
My grandchildren Caleb and Keegan are my best Valentines. They fill my heart with joy and I am so grateful that I am able to be a part of their lives. This Valentine’s day I wanted to make a special treat for them and since breakfast is a favorite for both of them I made this ooey-gooey yummy french toast stuffed with caramelized bananas. This sweet treat goes beyond breakfast. It’s decadent enough to be served as a dessert too.
If you have a special Valentine that you want to show how glad you are that they are a part of your life this dish says it all.
- 4 slices whole grain bread *see notes
- 1/2 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 bananas, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- pinch cardamom
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tbsp unrefined cold pressed coconut oil, divided
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes (optional garnish)
- In a blender process the milk, 1/2 a banana, vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and cardamom until smooth.
- Pour into a pie plate or other flat dish. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the maple syrup, 2 tbsp of the oil and the remaining 1 tsp cinnamon over medium heat until bubbling. Reduce heat to low and slice the remaining bananas into the syrup. Cook 1 minute and then flip the bananas over and cook a minute more. The bananas should be heated through but not over cooked to mush. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil in a non -stick grill pan or large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Dip the bread slices into the milk mixture and place on the grill pan.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let cook 3-4 minutes without moving. Lift an edge of the bread and if it is browned and lifts easily flip over to the other side and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until browned and slightly crispy.
- For each serving place one slice of toast on a plate, top with 1/4 of the bananas and syrup and then place the other slice of toast on top of that. Top with another 1/4 of the bananas and syrup. Garnish with coconut flakes if using.
Makes 2 servings.
Serving size 2 slices of toast and 1/2 the caramelized bananas.
Nutritional Info not available as it would depend on the bread used.
It is best to use a firm dry bread. If making for breakfast leave the bread slices out overnight to dry for best results. If you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free bread.
It is important to use a non-stick skillet for making the french toast.
This dish is best eaten right away.