Caleb's Chocolate CupcakesOct 27 2010 by
My grandson Caleb loves chocolate. He’s a lot like his mommy in that regard. He loves chocolate milk, chocolate banana bread, chocolate zucchini muffins, chocolate pudding and chocolate cupcakes. Here is the recipe for Caleb approved chocolate cupcakes.
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup date sugar or raw coconut crystals
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup plain kefir
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/2 cup grain-sweetened chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons honey or coconut nectar
Preparation for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine cocoa powder, 1 cup date sugar (save 1/4 for adding to eggs whites), flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl whisk together kefir, 1/3 cup milk, oil, vanilla, and whole egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Mix until just combined.
- Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl. Whip with electric mixer until egg whites are foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup date sugar to whites. Continue whipping until medium stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold whites by thirds into cake batter with a spatula. Fill each of the 12 cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool completely.
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons chocolate ganache (see recipe below) over top of each cupcake.
Preparation for Chocolate Ganache:
- To make the glaze, place the chocolate chips in a heat-resistant bowl and microwave for approximately 1 minute, stir until smooth.
- Add the honey and milk and whisk to form a smooth, satin-like ganache.
Makes 12 servings.
Serving size 1 cupcake.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 147, Cal. from Fat: 35, Total Fat: 4g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 29g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 20.5g, Protein: 4.5g, Sodium: 66mg, Chol: 17.5mg
We served these cupcakes at a Halloween themed birthday party and they were a big hit. Everyone enjoyed them – adults and kids alike! They are less like a fluffy cake cupcake and more fudgy and thick. If you are a chocolate lover you’ll be in heaven!