Caesar Salad with Cheesy Garlic Restaurant Style CroutonsFeb 14 2012 by
I used to love Caesar salads. It’s been years now since I’ve had one. A couple of weeks ago I got a craving for one and I just knew I had to recreate a healthy version for myself. The key to an awesome Caesar salad is the dressing. I’ve tasted a lot of Caesar dressings in my time and I gotta say – this is the best dressing EVER! Instead of using the standard egg or parmesan cheese this recipe uses hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are nutrient-dense whole foods that contain all 10 essential amino acids, meaning they are a complete source of protein. Unlike animal protein, hemp is also alkalinizing and very easy to digest. I used a standard romaine for this recipe but you can easily substitute any of your favorite greens in this dish. This salad is fantastic all on its own or as the perfect compliment to any meal. Enjoy!
For the Caesar Dressing:
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (If you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free sauce)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Garlic Gold Oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Cheezy Garlic Restaurant Style Croutons:
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- 2 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Gold Nuggets (optional)
For the Salad:
- 14 onces romaine hearts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place all ingredients for the dressing in a blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cut the bread into 1 inch pieces and place in a small bowl or plastic baggie. Add the oil and remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir well until until the bread pieces are nicely coated.
- Place the coated bread pieces on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the croutons are golden brown and crispy.
- In a large bowl add the romaine, croutons and dressing. Mix well and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Serving size 1 bowl.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 201.5, Cal. from Fat: 150, Total Fat: 17.5g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 8g, Fiber: 2.5g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 108mg, Chol: 0mg
The dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Any leftover croutons can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature and then in fridge for up to 1 week. To reheat the croutons simply place in the oven until heated all the way through.