Broiled Citrus Fruit CupsJan 13 2011 by
Just 1 whole orange or grapefruit completes your daily requirement of vitamin C as well as providing phytonutrients along with folate and potassium. Blood oranges contain anthocyanin, which may help prevent stroke and urinary tract infections and reduce the risk of cancer. Red and pink grapefruit, higher in vitamin A than yellow grapefruit, contain lyopene which may reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. Honey is also a superfood because it acts as an antioxidant and contains oligosaccharides, which increase the good bacteria in the colon. When choosing honey, the darker it is the more antioxidants it contains. That all said, these tangy-sweet citrus cups are so good that their super nutritional value are a wonderful bonus to an already wonderful treat.
- 2 cups citrus of your choice, I used;
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 2 oranges
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 Meyer lemon (if you can’t find a Meyer lemon just omit it as a regular lemon would be too tart)
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup reserved juice from cut citrus
- 2 tbsp raw dark honey or coconut nectar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (or cinnamon if you don’t like cardamom)
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios (optional)
- Supreme cut all the citrus fruit (see tips and tricks for how to supreme citrus),saving all the juice from the leftover membrane by squeezing it over a bowl. There should be about a 1/2 cup juice after all the citrus is cut. Reserve 1/4 cup.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime in with the saved juice.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place the citrus supremes into 4 ramekins or 1 larger baking dish. An 9 inch pie plate works well. (If using ramekins, place them on a baking sheet to catch any drips).
- Pour 1/4 cup juice into a small glass bowl, add the honey and ground cardamom. Warm in microwave for about 20 seconds or until warm enough for the honey to mix in with the juice.
- Spoon the juice mixture evenly over the fruit.
- Place under the broiler for 6-8 minutes or until the fruit is warmed and the top is slightly browned.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios if using.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 100, Cal. from Fat: 0g, Total Fat: 0g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 28.5g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 25.5g, Protein: 0g, Sodium: 0mg, Chol: 0mg
This dish is best eaten right away.