Basil PestoFeb 21 2011 by
My husband and I were in California a couple weeks ago looking for a new house. We’ll be moving to Oceanside, CA in May and we spent the weekend house hunting. Healthy eating doesn’t stop for us when traveling so when the hotel concierge handed us a menu for a cafe we just ‘had to try’ I stuck it in my pocket without another thought. Luckily we got stuck in traffic later that day and I pulled the menu out and took a look. It was for a place called The Naked Cafe and to my surprise it served healthy, organic, natural food! OH HAPPY DAY! The very next morning we were waiting at the doors when they opened and had one of the most delicious breakfast meals EVER! While I usually have sun dried tomato pesto on hand at all times in my fridge, after having their egg white pesto scramble I vowed to go home and make my own basil pesto. Here it is complete with a recipe for egg white pesto scramble inspired by my wonderful meal at The Naked Cafe.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the basil and pine nuts in a food processor (or powerful blender) and pulse a few times. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times before adding the basil.)
- Add the garlic and pulse a few times more.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Makes 1 cup.
Serving size 1 tbsp.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 92, Cal. from Fat: 83, Total Fat: 12.5g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: .5g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 1.5g, Sodium: 47.5mg, Chol: 2.5mg
The pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Now I know that I said I had breakfast and that there is a salad with my meal, but I did warn you that I love salad and I could eat it with every meal of the day – breakfast included! I was offered the option of salad or fruit and I opted for the salad. However, after eating the egg white scramble and some of the delicious brown rice and tortilla I was too stuffed to even touch the salad!
Egg White Pesto Scramble
- 8 ounces egg whites
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, very finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Basil Pesto (recipe above)
- 2 ounces turkey or prosciutto, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 whole wheat tortilla shell
- olive oil spray
- Heat a non stick skillet on medium high heat and spray with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl add egg whites, feta, onions, pesto and turkey (if using) and mix well. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and stir until the eggs are cooked.
- Serve egg whites with brown rice and a tortilla and ENJOY!
Makes 2 serving.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 385.5, Cal. from Fat: 140, Total Fat: 19g, Sat. Fat: 4.5g,Carbs: 38g, Fiber: 4.5g, Sugars: .5g, Protein: 21.5g, Sodium: 517.5mg, Chol: 2.5mg