Baked Pita ChipsDec 20 2010 by
One of my favorite snacks is Baked Pita Chips and Homemade Hummus. Have you ever looked at the ingredients in store bought pita chips? Enriched flours, calcium propionate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, and the always scary natural flavor. No thanks! Making your own pita chips is so easy and only takes 3 ingredients! These are also super kid friendly and having your kids sprinkle on the herbs and spices is a great way for them to help in the kitchen!
- pita bread of your choice
- olive oil
- your favorite herbs and spices *see notes
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut each piece of pita bread into 6 pieces.
- Place the cut pieces on a non stick baking sheet. (I use non stick foil on my baking sheets for easy clean up.)
- Place some olive oil in a small bowl and using a basting brush, brush each piece of pita bread with a small amount of oil. Flip pita bread over and brush again.
- Sprinkle each piece of pita bread with some herbs and spices. Flip the pita bread over and repeat.
- Place pita bread in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping the pieces over half way through cooking. Depending on the thickness of your pita bread you might need to cook for a little longer. The pita bread is done when each piece is slightly crispy.
Nutritional info will vary depending on the brand of pita bread and amount of oil used.
You can season your pita chips with your favorite herbs and spices. Here are a few suggestions:
- Natural Pita Chips – season with sea salt
- Parmesan Garlic & Herbs – season with garlic powder, parsley, grated parmesan cheese and sea salt
- Cinnamon Sugar – season with cinnamon and raw coconut crystals or date sugar
- Italian – season with red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, black pepper and sea salt
- Onion and Garlic – season with dried minced onion (or onion powder), garlic powder and sea salt
You can use as little or as much seasoning as you prefer. I like the Onion and Garlic combination and my kids LOVE the Cinnamon Sugar chips. There really is no wrong way to make these. Have fun experimenting with different flavor combinations.
Leftover pita chips can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 week.
For gluten free pita chips make sure to use a gluten free pita bread.