Baked NachosDec 09 2010 by
My family is a football family. On Sunday you will find us smack in front of the TV watching football – GO BEARS! There is nothing better than football and ‘snackie’ things. I love this recipe because it is so easy to throw together and tastes wonderful! Even if you’re not a football fan you can still enjoy these delicious nachos – we won’t judge you. You can top these nachos with any of your favorite toppings to create a snack that is perfect just for you. ENJOY!
- 1 bag (16 ounces) of tortilla chips (I used Xochitl Organic Tortilla Chips)
- 24 ounces clean low fat refried beans (I used Amy’s Organic Low Sodium Refried Beans)
- 2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese (I used Daiya Pepperjack Shreds)
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- jalapeno peppers (optional)
- cliantro, chopped (optional)
- your favorite sour cream (optional)
- your favorite salsa (optional)
- Homemade Guacamole (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange a layer of tortilla chips along the bottom of a large baking dish. Spread the refried beans over the chips.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the chips and beans. Evenly spread the onions over the cheese.
- Top with jalapeño peppers (if using) and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with any of the optional toppings – sour cream, guacamole, salsa and cilantro.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional info will vary greatly depending the specific products that are used.
I usually make this recipe in a shallow casserole dish. While you can microwave your nachos, I prefer them ‘crispy’ and therefore bake them in the oven.
I had made a batch of nachos as a snack for my husband. I had just taken it out of the oven when I received a phone call. 15 minutes later after I got off my call I came into the kitchen to see an empty pan – which is why you don’t see a picture of the nachos in the casserole dish. Unfortunately my husband ate the nachos before I could get a picture so I threw together just a few so you could see them. I let him off the hook this time since he usually hears “DON’T TOUCH THAT UNTIL I TAKE A PICTURE!” all the while looking at the yummy food at meal times!