Baby Greens Salad with Toasted Garlic Chickpea CroutonsJan 25 2012 by
I love salads. I have at least one salad every single day. I’ll throw leftover quinoa, lentils or black beans on my salad for a protein source but most often I use chickpeas. I love chickpeas! They’ll so small and round and cute. As much as I love them even I get sick of the same boring salad day after day. I needed to add a little pizazz to my salad and these crunchy, crispy garlic flavored ‘chicktons’ were just the thing! While they are perfect as a salad topper, they are also wonderful as a snack all by themselves. My daughter loved them and ate almost my whole batch.
For the Toasted Garlic Chickpea Croutons
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
For the Baby Greens Salad
- mixed baby greens
- mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- red onion (thinly sliced)
- any other of your favorite veggies
- Tangy French Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas in a colander.
- Lay out on paper towels, cover with another paper towel and roll around until the chickpeas are dry.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients and add in the dried chickpeas. Mix well.
- Spoon the chickpeas in a single layer onto a non stick baking sheet and place on the middle rack in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from oven and let cool (the chickpeas will crisp as they cool).
- Add your baby greens, mushrooms and onions to a large bowl. Sprinkle with toasted garlic chickpea croutons and top with Tangy French Vinaigrette.
Nutritional Info for Toasted Garlic Chickpea Croutons:
Makes approximately 1 3/4 cups.
Serving size 1/4 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 125.5, Cal. from Fat: 57, Total Fat: 6.5g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 11.5g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 204.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover chickpeas can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. They will start to lose their crunchiness but they still taste great. If you want to crisp them up again you can throw them in the oven for a few minutes until crispy.