Asparagus FrittataJul 29 2011 by
Anytime I need a no nonsense, quick and easy meal – I whip up this frittata. Seriously, this is a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner! Plus the leftovers are great the next day. I love meals that are this flexible and work great for multiple meals. And it gets even better! You can add any of your favorite veggies to have a meal totally customized to your tastes. No need to thank me. Ok, go ahead. You’re welcome!
- 1 pound asparagus, ends snapped off, cut into 1 inch pieces (or 1 – 1 1/2 cups veggies of your choice)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used Gruyere but feta, swiss and even cheddar work great)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Heat olive oil into a large oven-proof frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until the asparagus are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour in eggs and cook until almost set, but still runny on top, about 2 minutes. While cooking, pre-heat oven broiler to high.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs and place frying pan in oven to broil until cheese is melted and browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven with oven mitts (pan handle will be VERY hot!!!) and slide frittata onto a serving plate. Cut into 4 slices and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Serving size 1/4 frittata.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 224, Cal. from Fat: 148, Total Fat: 16.5g, Sat. Fat: 8.5g, Carbs: 4.5g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugars: 2.5g, Protein: 14.5g, Sodium: 247.5mg, Chol: 240.5mg
This frittata keeps very well in the fridge and is excellent the next day. You can warm it up in the microwave or oven. It’s also pretty tasty cold as well!