Arugula, Blueberry and Cucumber SaladJul 12 2012 by
While the weather here in Southern California has been mild, reports from family and friends back home in the midwest have been anything but. With the summer heat that much of the country has been experiencing lately this cooling salad is just the thing. The combination of ingredients in this salad were inspired by the fresh offerings found at our local farmers market this past week. Arugula is one of my favorite greens to use in a salad and it’s pungent flavor is the perfect background to the sweet blueberries and crisp cool cucumbers. The bright lemon basil vinaigrette is light and clean and just the thing to combine all the ingredients together in perfect harmony. Enjoy the flavors of summer.
- 4 cups baby arugula or other green of choice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced (with a mandolin if possible)
- 4 tbsp chives, minced
- 1/4 cup pecan halves, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 12-15 leaves fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 6-8 capers
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Toss the greens, blueberries, cucumbers and chives in a large bowl.
- Place the remaining ingredients except the pecans in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour over the greens and toss to combine.
- Top with pecans and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 207, Cal. from Fat: 163, Total Fat: 18.5g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 12g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 8g, Protein: 1g, Sodium: 94mg, Chol: 0mg
This salad is best eaten right away. If you don’t plan on using all of it you can mix the dressing but store it separately in the refrigerator along with the salad ingredients and assemble as needed.